If the transfer is initiated by the TSC, the teacher will be eligible for the TSC transfer allowance. This allowance is meant to support teachers as they settle into their new stations and is equivalent to one month’s basic salary.
When a teacher wishes to be transferred, he/she must apply for the transfer through the TSC transfer portal.
During the TSC transfer process, the following factors and circumstances will be considered before a teacher is transferred to different school.
1. Age: Teachers above the age of 56 will not be moved to new work stations.
2. Health status: Teachers with proven cases of terminal illness will not be transferred from their current sub-county of work. Medical records and other variables, such as the presence of suitable medical facilities at the proposed station, would be considered in every single case.
3. Teachers with Disabilities: Teachers who have disabilities, with the necessary certification, will not be transferred outside their current sub-county.
N/B: Priority will be given to transferring teachers to schools within the sub-county experiencing shortages before transferring them out of the sub-county.
- Family considerations: Couples who are both TSC employees and have declared their marital status will be considered for transfers to the same neighborhood if possible.
- Length of stay: Teachers qualifying for transfers must have served at the current station for a minimum of three (3) years (five (5) years for North Eastern and other areas) since their first appointment, unless authorized by the Commission.
Circumstances Under Which A Teacher May Be Transferred By TSC
- If a person applies for a transfer of service from the public service commission to the TSC, subject to vacancy availability.
- Teachers can apply for a transfer on medical grounds with supporting evidence.
- When working conditions are hostile and may jeopardize the teacher’s well-being and security.
- By submitting a request to the TSC for an agreeable and reasonable swop.
- After the expiry of tenure at a trade union, such as the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) or the Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (KUPPET).
- After a study leave exceeding six months, the teacher must apply for a posting by the Commission at least thirty days before the leave expires.
- Spouses of persons in diplomatic service can apply for a transfer one month before the end of their assignment of duty.
- After a disciplinary action, such as interdiction or suspension for a period not exceeding six months without payment.
- After being posted from a primary to a secondary institution.
- After a substantive appointment, teachers who are promoted and appointed to positions such as Headship, Deputy Headship, and Senior Masters will be redeployed or transferred to another station, subject to availability of such posts.
- When there is a need for equitable distribution and optimal utilization of teachers.
TSC CEO Nancy Macharia has noted that Transfer of teachers will be carried out during the school holidays to ensure stability and smooth running of the school programme except for emergency cases.