The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) provides University/College students with two types of loans.
- First Time Application-This is for applicants who are applying for the first time.
- Second & Subsequent Application-This is for applicants who are applying for the second, third, fourth time as per the program duration
HELB will soon invite students to apply for subsequent Undergraduate Loan for the 2023/2024 financial year.
Eligible applicants include recent beneficiaries of the undergraduate loan , students placed by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Placement Service (KUCCPS) in the local and private universities.
How To apply For subsequent Loan on the HELB App
- Go to the Google Play Store and download the HELB Mobile Application.
- Register your details on the HELB App, including your first name, phone number, email address, national ID, and KRA PIN number. This will generate a PIN for you to log in and accept the license agreement.
- Make sure to use your Safaricom number, the one you use for Mpesa transactions, and ensure it is registered in your name.
- Read the mandatory Financial literacy notes and complete a brief Question & Answer session to understand the purpose of credit. Scroll down to view the results and click “proceed.”
- Click on the “loans” section and select “undergraduate loans” to access the Undergraduate Subsequent Loan Application Form [LAF].
- Follow each step to provide the required details and submit the form.
- A pop-up message will confirm that your application has been successfully submitted, and it will also display your loan serial number.
Note: During the application process, you will need to pay Kshs. 1 from your MPESA account to verify your telephone number. Please remember that the application process is paperless, so there is no need to print any documents.
For students who are not Safaricom subscribers, you will be directed to the Portal to apply using the application form. After completing the form, you will need to print and submit it to the HELB Student Service Centre, located on Mezzanine 1 Floor at Anniversary Towers.
How To Apply via *642# (USSD Code)
- Dial *642# on your phone.
- Select option 1.
- Enter your PIN.
- Choose the option for loan application.
- Select Subsequent Loan.
- Accept the loan terms by choosing option 1.
- Verify your phone number by selecting the appropriate option.
- Pay one shilling to verify your phone number. Use your ID number as the account number.
- After receiving the verification message, repeat the procedure from where we left off.
- Click on “Request loan.”
- Enter your PIN and send.
- You will receive a message confirming the receipt of your subsequent loan application for the specified year. The message will include a serial number (e.g., Serial number: 133234324).
Please note that this is a general guide and the specific steps may vary slightly depending on the HELB loan application process.
- Students who have recently received the Undergraduate Loan.
- Students who have been placed in local public and private universities by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Placement Service (KUCCPS).
- Self-Sponsored, Parallel, and Module II Students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree. (Note: Certificate, Diploma, Pre-University, and Postgraduate students are not eligible for this loan product).
The maximum amount awarded for the Undergraduate Loan is Kshs. 60,000.
For students placed by KUCCPS, the loan amount is divided to cover both tuition fees and upkeep.
A standard deduction of Kshs. 4,000 (applicable to government-sponsored students only) is subtracted from the loan and disbursed to the university per semester, totaling Kshs. 8,000 for tuition. The remaining amount is then sent to the applicant’s bank account as upkeep.
For self-sponsored students, the entire loan amount is sent directly to the university once a year as tuition fees.