The Kenyan Passport is a key travel document and an internationally recognized identification document that every citizen who plans to travel outside the country must have.
In this article, we’ll provide a clear and concise steps on how to apply for a Kenyan passport Online.
How To Apply For A Passport
- Start by registering on the e-citizen platform if you are a first-time applicant.
- Once registered, access the online portal of the Immigration department and locate the passport application form.
- Carefully read the form and provide the required information as instructed.
- Make the necessary payment for the application process. The Immigration department accepts various payment modes, including M-PESA, credit/debit cards, and online banking.
- Download the pre-filled application form along with three transaction receipts.
- Visit the Immigration offices at Nyayo House, Nairobi, Regional Coordinator’s Office, Mombasa, and Kisumu Provincial HQ. to physically submit the application form for processing.
To streamline the application process and avoid unnecessary trips, ensure you have the following documents ready and attached to your application form when you visit the Immigration offices:
- Pre-filled application form and three receipts.
- Copies of your birth certificate, identification card (ID), and the original documents.
- Three recently taken passport size photos.
- Copy of the recommender’s ID card.
- Consent letter for minors (if applicable).
- Outdated passport (for replacement applications).
- National ID cards of parents and their copies.
By preparing these documents in advance, you can minimize the need for additional visits to the Immigration offices.
For first-time passport applicants, the processing time is a minimum of 10 days from the date of submission. Other application types usually take at least 5 working days. However, if the application forms are filled incorrectly, it may significantly delay the processing time.
READ ALSO: Kenyans Can Now Call Huduma Centre at Night
Passport application charges in Kenya
Application fees vary based on the type of passport and the purpose of your application. The rates range from Ksh.4,550 to Ksh.12,050. Below are other charges;
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series
|48 Pages Ordinary “B” Series
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series
|Diplomatic Passport (48 page)
When applying for the replacement of a lost or mutilated passport, please ensure you have the following additional documents:
- Affidavit: Obtain an affidavit that confirms your identity. This document serves as a legal statement validating your personal information.
- Police Abstract: Obtain a police abstract, which is a formal document issued by the police authorities stating the loss or mutilation of your passport. It acts as an official record of the incident.
- Explanation Letter: Write a detailed explanation letter that outlines the circumstances surrounding the loss or mutilation of your passport. Clearly state what happened and provide any relevant information to support your case.
- Old Passport: If you are renewing an expired passport, you will need to submit the old passport along with photocopies of the first three pages. These copies help in verifying your previous passport details.