Safaricom and the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) on April 27 announced a partnership launching the HELB Mobile Wallet and HELB Mpesa Mini-App that will enable students to withdraw funds.
The HELB Mobile Wallet sought to empower students to receive the upkeep portion of their student loans direct to their M-PESA account.
The App will enable beneficiaries to access their HELB upkeep, withdraw funds, repay loans, apply for subsequent loans, view their loan status and access their statements all from an Android and iPhone app.
All M-PESA customers can access the HELB Mini App under the “Services” section on the M-PESA Super App.
Beneficiaries who have already registered their mobile phone numbers with HELB will then key in their phone number upon which they will receive a code to activate the Mini App and set a PIN for subsequent access.
Those who haven’t registered their mobile numbers with HELB need to enter a phone number linked to the same National ID associated with their HELB account. This process connects their numbers and activates the Mini App.
How to Withdraw HELB loan Funds Via Mini-App
- Receive a sure-pay confirmation SMS indicating that you have chosen M-PESA for your HELB loan payment.
- Get another sure-pay SMS confirming the distribution of funds.
- Download the M-PESA app from the Play Store.
- Register with your M-PESA number using Safaricom data.
- Navigate to the home section, then categories, select education, and click on “HELB” in your portal.
- Register on the HELB Mini App.
- Sign in and receive an SMS code for verification.
- On the homepage, click “withdraw” to transfer funds to M-PESA