The Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) has announced 2023 mass recruitment drive for various positions, inviting candidates to join as general service officer (GSO) cadets, specialist officers, general duty recruits, tradesmen/women, and constables.
The recruitment process is scheduled to take place in the months of August and September 2023.
To be eligible for KDF recruitment, candidates must meet certain general conditions and academic qualifications:
- Be a Kenyan citizen with no dual citizenship.
- Possess a valid Kenyan ID, with four copies of the ID and PIN certificates.
- Meet the specified age requirements, ranging from 18 to 26 years for GSO cadets, general duty recruits, and tradesmen/women with certificates/government trade test. The age limit is not above 30 years for specialist officers, Tradesmen/women with diplomas, and not above 39 years for chaplains/imaams.
- Be physically and medically fit as per KDF standards.
- Have no criminal record.
- Fulfill the minimum height and weight requirements, which vary for men and women.
- Female candidates must not be pregnant during recruitment and training.
Minimum Academic Qualifications
- General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets:
- Minimum mean grade of B (Plain) in KCSE with C+ in English, Mathematics, and one Science subject.
- The training period for this category will span three years, leading to a BSc degree in Military Science and Security Studies upon completion.
- General Service Officer (GSO) Cadet – Undergraduate Degree Holders:
- Must meet the same requirements as GSO Cadets above and hold an undergraduate degree from a recognized university/institution in any relevant discipline.
- The training period for this category will be eleven months.
- Specialist Officers:
- Must meet the GSO Cadet requirements, except for chaplains/imaams who must have a minimum mean grade of C+ in KCSE.
- Must hold an undergraduate degree from a recognized university/institution and be registered with a regulatory/statutory body (where applicable) in the relevant discipline.
- The training period for specialist officers will be six months.
- Servicemen/women General Duty Recruits:
- Must hold a minimum mean grade of D (Plain) in KCSE.
- Prospective candidates must satisfy specific conditions, including relevant academic qualifications and certifications.
- Eligible candidates include retired Kenya Defence Forces Service Members or retired National Youth Servicemen/women within specific age ranges and with an honorable discharge certificate.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit detailed CVs, including height and weight, along with clear photocopies of relevant academic certificates, professional body membership certificates, and IDs to the Assistant Chief of the Defence Forces (Personnel and Logistics) at the Ministry of Defence, Defence Headquarters, Ulinzi House, P.O. Box 40668 – 00100, Nairobi.
For specialist officers and tradesmen/women, applications must reach the addressee on or before 2oth August 2023 .
Shortlisted candidates will be notified through print media between 17th to 24th September 2023.
The KDF recruiting teams, comprising the Kenya Army, the Kenya Air Force, and the Kenya Navy, will visit recruitment centers in every sub-county to conduct the recruitment for GSO Cadets, General Service Officer Cadets – Undergraduate degree holders, General Duty Recruits, and Defence Forces Constables.
The KDF issued a stern warning against bribery and corruption, stating that such actions are illegal. Anyone found with fake or falsified documents or engaging in corrupt activities during the recruitment process will face arrest and prosecution.
The military advised all prospective candidates not to fall victim to scams, reminding them that no one can manipulate the recruitment process.
Several citizens have been deceived in past recruitments, losing their money, property, and freedom.