The deadline for the first phase of application and revision for the 2022 Kenya Certificate Of Secondary Education (KCSE) students seeking university or college courses through the Kenya universities and colleges central placement service (KUCCPS) is on Wednesday June 7, 2023.
KUCCPS opened its portal on May 17 to allow students to apply, emphasizing the consideration of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) opportunities.
Dr. Mercy Wahome, the CEO of KUCCPS, urged students who had already applied before the KCSE exams to review their choices, considering the program costs published on the portal.
She highlighted that the portal provides detailed guidelines, minimum requirements, available programs, fees, and information about universities and colleges.
The 2022 KCSE exams revealed that 19.9 percent, or 173,127 out of 869,782 candidates, achieved a grade of C+ and above; the minimum requirement for degree programs.
The remaining 80.1 percent, comprising 696,655 students, obtained grades ranging from C to E.
KUCCPS encouraged these students to explore the available TVET opportunities, providing a pathway to higher education and reducing wastage.
ALSO READ: KUCCPS: List of 286 Higher Education Institutions
In Turkana, for example, out of the 7,889 candidates who sat for the 2022 KCSE exams, only 13 percent achieved a grade of C+ and above, while the remaining 87 percent obtained grades ranging from C to E.
Dr. Wahome emphasized that TVET institutions in Lodwar offer certificate and artisan courses for students who scored D- and E grades. These students can later pursue diploma courses at Turkana University College.
Dr. Wahome expressed concern that some students who met the minimum university entry grade of C+ have chosen to engage in fishing in Lake Turkana instead of pursuing higher education.
She stressed that every student has the opportunity to further their studies, regardless of their grade, and encouraged teachers to reach out to their former students and encourage them to apply for courses through the KUCCPS portal.
Furthermore, Dr. Wahome urged young people to consider the opportunities provided by National Polytechnics and public technical and vocational institutions.
These institutions have listed their artisan, craft, and diploma courses on the KUCCPS portal.
Notable new entrants include the Kengen Geothermal Training Centre, which offers courses in the energy sector, and the Morendat Institute of Oil and Gas, which provides TVET courses in engineering, environmental science, laboratory science, telecommunication, and more.
The government has committed to creating employment opportunities for TVET graduates by investing in priority sectors such as agriculture, micro, small and medium enterprises, housing, healthcare, the digital superhighway, and the creative economy.
Only students who apply through the KUCCPS portal and are placed in degree programs at public universities or diploma, craft certificate, and artisan courses at TVET institutions will be eligible for government scholarships.
They can also apply for a loan from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
Students placed in private universities and other institutions will not qualify for government scholarships but can still apply for a loan from HELB.
After the application period ends, the portal will close temporarily to allow for simulations.
Once all revisions and simulations are completed, KUCCPS will release the placement results. Institutions will then issue admission letters and joining instructions to successful applicants.