The National Youth Service (NYS) has released entry requirements for aspiring young Kenyans looking to join the service.
The statement issued on Wednesday, January 10, came in response to a surge in inquiries from Kenyan citizens about the enlistment criteria for the year 2024.
NYS disclosed that the recruitment process would take place in every sub-county across all 47 counties in Kenya.
The organisation emphasised that it would publicly announce the recruitment date through both print and electronic media channels.
Qualifications & Requirements for 2024 NYS Recruitment
- Citizenship: Prospective candidates must be Kenyan citizens by birth, as naturalized citizens are not eligible for enrollment.
- Age: Individuals seeking to join the service should be between 18 and 24 years old, aligning with NYS’s goal to be a center for excellence in transforming, training, and empowering the Kenyan youth.
- Academic Qualifications: Interested applicants must have attained a minimum grade of D (plain) or its equivalent in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education.
- Health and Fitness: Candidates must be medically and physically fit, a condition assessed during the recruitment exercise.
- Criminal Record: Those attending the recruitment exercise must not have been convicted of a criminal offense. A certificate of good conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) is mandatory during enlistment.
- Additional Qualifications: Candidates must meet any other criteria that the Director General may prescribe from time to time.
NYS assured young Kenyans that the organization had devised an exit strategy to ensure that all graduates find employment upon completing the program.
“Just to mention but a few, 80 per cent transition to other disciplined services, labour export to Europe amongst others,” NYS stated.
In November 2023, President William Ruto directed that NYS trainees be given priority during police and military recruitment.