Many Schools across the country have closed early for a 10 weeks long holiday as they are currently grappling with severe financial challenges.
According to the Ministry of Education’s calendar, the designated closing date for the third term is October 27.
A spot-check by our media team reveals that many schools in Nairobi have already closed, while others are planning to release their students starting this Friday.
The root cause of this crisis is the government’s delay in disbursing capitation funds, resulting in most educational institutions struggling to provide essential items such as cereals and food supplies to sustain their students.
Principals from various schools, who chose to remain anonymous out of fear of reprisals, claim that the government has only disbursed 24 percent of the total amount, leaving a staggering 76 percent balance.
“We are truly struggling… there’s a severe lack of funds, which is why we’ve been compelled to close early,” expressed one school principal.
The situation has been further compounded by the fact that suppliers are no longer willing to provide food materials due to the substantial outstanding debts owed by the schools.
Under the government’s policies of free primary education and free day secondary education, each learner is allocated Sh1,420 and Sh22,244, respectively, as capitation funds for primary and secondary schools every year.
This funding is intended to be remitted on a termly basis using a 50:30:20 formula.
On May 30, 2023, the Education Cabinet Secretary, Ezekiel Machogu, announced that the government would disburse Sh28 billion to primary schools, junior, and senior secondary schools across the country by May 2.
This closure comes at a critical time when Form Four candidates are preparing for their KCSE examinations.
The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) disclosed that rehearsals would commence on October 19, with the actual exams scheduled for October 23.
KNEC has confirmed that preparations have been finalized for conducting national examinations for a total of 2.3 million students who are set to participate in this year’s KCPE and KCSE exams.
Out of this number, approximately 1,415,315 candidates will be sitting for the KCPE , while an additional 903,260 students will be taking the KCSE test.